I’m growing rounder by the second . . . and I’m quickly discovering what it ‘means’ to be pregnant. My previous self is gone . . . I’m definitely pregnant AND showing. It shows in my face and in my middle section. I know some women enjoy being pregnant, but I can quickly and firmly assert that I am NOT one of them!
1. I can’t drink alcohol. I haven’t had a taste for alcohol since I gave it up on June 26th (yes, I know the exact day!). That feeling changed this weekend when I was making Stracoto for our Sunday dinner. The recipe calls for 1 cup of red wine. I must admit that I was a bit rusty using the bottle opener, but when I heard that pop and got a whiff of the berry scent . . . I nearly caved. I miss my wine!!
2. No more morning coffee. This was probably the most difficult. I still crave caffeine! Before pregnancy, I drank 3 cups of coffee before work. It was a ritual in the morning . . . wake up, brew some coffee, shower, fix myself a cup, do makeup, fix myself a cup, blowdry hair, get dressed, fix myself a cup . . . . etc. I do splurge on the weekends. I hit up a Starbucks or a Panera and get 1 small espresso coffee. It lasts me for the whole next week!
3. The number on the scale is SCARY! I hate gaining weight even though I know it’s a natural and mandatory part of pregnancy. That doesn’t mean I have to like it! Right now I weigh the most I have ever weighed in my life and I know it isn’t going to get any better. At least I don’t have to worry about weighing more than my husband 🙂
4. Outgrowing maternity clothes. Yes, it IS possible. My size 4 maternity jeans are growing tight around my belly and I’m going to have to buy new ones. I remember when those jeans would fall down my hips . . . now I’ve nearly outgrown them. How depressing!
5. Inability to tie my own shoes. Nick and I went bowling on Saturday for a Budweiser event. It was quite the shock when I couldn’t even bend over to tie the laces on my bowling shoes. My belly is now big enough to get in the way!
6. Sleeping isn’t the same. Before pregnancy I slept on my stomach so in recent months I’ve trained myself to sleep on my side . . . but now that my belly is getting big I find that I need a pillow to rest my belly on to make sleeping comfortable. Basically, I have to build a pillow fortress!
Well, you get the picture . . . I’ll be waiting for that glass of champagne the moment after labor and delivery! Pregnancy is hard and I want to celebrate when it’s over! Baby can’t come soon enough!